Before We Get Started
- Ask how everyone’s week has been! What was the best thing that happened to you last week?
- What was one thing you could use prayer for from last week?
- Open your group with prayer! Pray for any requests and for the discussion you’re about to have, that God reveals a next step for everyone to take this week!
Ice Breaker: What is your favorite thing about Easter?
- “Jesus said, “I have been very eager to eat this Passover meal with you before my suffering begins. For I tell you now that I won’t eat this meal again until it’s meaning is fulfilled in the Kingdom of God.” Then he took a cup of wine and gave thanks to God for it. Then he said, “Take this and share it among yourselves. For I will not drink wine again until the Kingdom of God has come.” He took some bread and gave thanks to God for it. Then he broke it in pieces and gave it to the disciples, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” After supper he took another cup of wine and said, “This cup is the new covenant between God and his people—an agreement confirmed with my blood, which is poured out as a sacrifice for you.” – Luke 22:15-20
- “The animal you select must be a one-year-old male, either a sheep or a goat, with no defects. “Take special care of this chosen animal until the evening of the fourteenth day of this first month. Then the whole assembly of the community of Israel must slaughter their lamb or young goat at twilight. They are to take some of the blood and smear it on the sides and top of the door frames of the houses where they eat the animal. That same night they must roast the meat over a fire and eat it along with bitter salad greens and bread made without yeast. Do not eat any of the meat raw or boiled in water. The whole animal—including the head, legs, and internal organs—must be roasted over a fire. Do not leave any of it until the next morning. Burn whatever is not eaten before morning. “These are your instructions for eating this meal: Be fully dressed, wear your sandals, and carry your walking stick in your hand. Eat the meal with urgency, for this is the Lord’s Passover. On that night I will pass through the land of Egypt and strike down every firstborn son and firstborn male animal in the land of Egypt. I will execute judgment against all the gods of Egypt, for I am the Lord!” – Exodus 12:5-12
Sermon Notes: Take time to let everyone share some of the notes they took or anything that stood out to them from the message. Use this time to get everyone in your group talking (a good tip for this situation would be to go around the room and have everyone share one thing that stuck out to them from Pastor Daniel’s sermon)! Keep in mind, not everyone may feel comfortable talking, so try your best to help assist them in any way you can!
- When you think of the Easter story, what is the first thing that comes to your mind?
- Have you ever heard of the Passover before this weekend? If you had to describe it to someone who doesn’t know what it is, how would you do so?
- Reference Exodus 12:5-12. What action did God require the Israelites to do in order to keep their household safe?
- What is a “covenant”? (An agreement that brings about a relationship of commitment between God and his people.)
- Pastor Daniel referenced 4 covenants that God had made in the Old Testament, what were they? (Noah – Flood, Abraham – Father of many nations, Israelites – You will be my people, King David – the Savior will come from your bloodline)
- Read Luke 22:15-20. How did God confirm this new covenant with His people? (Jesus’ blood!)
- Is there anything in your life that can change when gaining the new perspective that Jesus, and only Jesus, is the fulfillment of the covenant between you and God?
Help each member not only identify a next step to take, but help them make a plan to implement that next step into their lives each week! Write it down and follow up with them after a few days!
Pray for your Group!
Pray for confidence and strength for your members as they begin to pursue the stretching/next steps that God is calling them to!