You and the Rearview
Goals for this Week’s Study:
- Review Pastor Trevor’s sermon from Sunday morning.
- Help group members (especially new members) get to know one another.
- Reflect on the last week and the next steps each member has taken!
Open your group with prayer.
SHARE: What is a “new” thing you have been saving up for or are going to purchase soon?
- “Besides, who would patch old clothing with new cloth? For the new patch would shrink and rip away from the old cloth, leaving an even bigger tear than before. And no one puts new wine into old wineskins. For the old skins would burst from the pressure, spilling the wine and ruining the skins. New wine is stored in new wineskins so that both are preserved.” – Matthew 9:16-17
- “But forget all that— it is nothing compared to what I am going to do. For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness. I will create rivers in the dry wasteland.” – Isaiah 43:18-19
Sermon Notes: Take time to let everyone share some of the notes they took or anything that stood out to them from the message. Use this time to get everyone in your group talking (a good tip for this situation would be to go around the room and have everyone share one thing that stuck out to them from Pastor Trevor’s sermon)! Keep in mind, not everyone may feel comfortable talking yet, so try your best to help assist them in any way you can!
- What is one “new” thing that you want God to do in your life?
- Read Matthew 9:16-17. What is the significance of the new wineskins and why were they needed? (Old wineskins would have burst under the pressure, spilling the new wine)
- Pastor Trevor stated that the old way of functioning wasn’t going to be able to contain the new thing that God wanted to pour out. Thinking back to question one, what is one thing you can be doing to prepare for the “new” thing that you want God to do?
- We learned yesterday it’s not just preparation, it’s expectation that leads to preparation! Is there any area of your life that you no longer expect God to move? Why?
- Pastor Trevor stated that everyone wants to change the world but no one wants to change themselves. Why do you think it’s so easy to overlook making a change in ourselves first?
- We were given 2 things to do if we wanted God to do a new thing. What were they? (Forget the former things & See your new opportunities as God sees them!) Do you feel like one resonated with you more than the other? Which one & why?
- How can your Life Group help you prepare for the new thing that you want God to do in your life this week?
- Creation is a prerequisite for a new thing to happen.
- Stop putting new things in old ways.
- Your new potential can’t be brought to life by your old way of preparation.
- The only person you can control is you.
- If you’re not changing you’re not following Jesus!
- If you want God to bless your future, you have to be obedient in the present!
- Where you set your sight, your feet will follow!
Pray Over Your Group!
Pray over all prayer requests, and pray that all members are able to be expectant and prepare for the new thing that God has in store for them this week and the weeks to come!