You Light Up My Life
Goals for this Week’s Study:
- Review Pastor Allen Bonnell’s sermon from Sunday morning.
- Help group members (especially new members) get to know one another.
- Reflect on the challenge (7-Day SOAP study) last week and the next steps each member has taken!
Open your group with prayer.
SHARE: What is your favorite video on YouTube? Share with the group!
- “Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, “I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.” The Pharisees replied, “You are making those claims about yourself! Such testimony is not valid.” Jesus told them, “These claims are valid even though I make them about myself. For I know where I came from and where I am going, but you don’t know this about me. You judge me by human standards, but I do not judge anyone. And if I did, my judgment would be correct in every respect because I am not alone. The Father who sent me is with me. Your own law says that if two people agree about something, their witness is accepted as fact. I am one witness, and my Father who sent me is the other.” “Where is your father?” they asked. Jesus answered, “Since you don’t know who I am, you don’t know who my Father is. If you knew me, you would also know my Father.” Jesus made these statements while he was teaching in the section of the Temple known as the Treasury. But he was not arrested, because his time had not yet come.” – John 8:12-20
- “He says, “You will do more than restore the people of Israel to me. I will make you a light to the Gentiles, and you will bring my salvation to the ends of the earth.” – Isaiah 49:6
- “And the one sitting on the throne said, “Look, I am making everything new!” And then he said to me, “Write this down, for what I tell you is trustworthy and true.” – Revelations 21:5
- “Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path.” – Psalm 119:105
- “You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden.15 No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.” – Matthew 5:14-16
Sermon Notes: Take time to let everyone share some of the notes they took or anything that stood out to them from the message. Use this time to get everyone in your group talking (a good tip for this situation would be to go around the room and have everyone share one thing that stuck out to them from Pastor Allen’s sermon)! Keep in mind, not everyone may feel comfortable talking yet, so try your best to help assist them in any way you can!
- What is the purpose for “light”? (Direction, revelation, & to bring life!)
- Why do you think Jesus used “light” to explain who we are to the world?
- Pastor Allen stated that God isn’t a God of mystery, but of revelation. Do you feel like God hides things from you? What could change in your life if your perspective changed?
- Read Matthew 5:14-16. What does it look like to be “the light of the world”?
- Do you feel like you’ve been a light in your world?
- Pastor Allen told us to refuel if the fire has gone out. Do you feel empty right now? Have you in the past? What did you do to refuel?
- What next step in your life do you feel God is leading you to take this week?
- How can your group help you?
- There is no place where God is not. He longs to use every avenue for His glory!
- We don’t add to God’s glory, we just describe what’s already there.
- Our light isn’t OUR light, but Jesus’ light shining through us!
- Following Jesus isn’t a one-time decision, it’s a daily decision!
Pray Over Your Group!
Pray over all prayer requests, and pray that all members are able to be the light in their world that God has called them to be!