Follow The Leader
Goals for this Week’s Study:
- Review Pastor Adam’s sermon from Sunday morning.
- Help group members (especially new members) get to know one another.
- Reflect on the challenge last week and the next steps each member has taken!
Open your group with prayer.
SHARE: Have you ever gotten lost on a trip before? Tell the group about it!
- “I tell you the truth, anyone who sneaks over the wall of a sheepfold, rather than going through the gate, must surely be a thief and a robber! But the one who enters through the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep recognize his voice and come to him. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. After he has gathered his own flock, he walks ahead of them, and they follow him because they know his voice. They won’t follow a stranger; they will run from him because they don’t know his voice.” Those who heard Jesus use this illustration didn’t understand what he meant, so he explained it to them: “I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep. All who came before me were thieves and robbers. But the true sheep did not listen to them. Yes, I am the gate. Those who come in through me will be saved. They will come and go freely and will find good pastures. The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life.” – John 10:1-10
- “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.” – John 10:27
- “But don’t just listen to God’s word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves.” – James 1:22
- “May God’s grace be eternally upon all who love our Lord Jesus Christ.” – Ephesians 6:24
Sermon Notes: Take time to let everyone share some of the notes they took or anything that stood out to them from the message. Use this time to get everyone in your group talking (a good tip for this situation would be to go around the room and have everyone share one thing that stuck out to them from Pastor Adam’s sermon)! Keep in mind, not everyone may feel comfortable talking yet, so try your best to help assist them in any way you can!
- Do you ever find it difficult to listen to Jesus and do what he says, without hesitation? Why or why not?
- The Bible says that we are His sheep and He is our Shepherd. Does this statement bring you peace? In what areas of your life has this statement been made true?
- Pastor Adam stated that it is important to listen to God’s voice. What is the #1 way God will speak to us? (The Bible!)
- When it comes to reading your Bible everyday, it seems difficult to accomplish for most people. What are some things that you’ve seen in your life that have kept you from reading the Bible?
- Do you feel like God knows you? Why or why not?
- Read James 1:22. Is following Jesus an active or passive thing in your life?
- Do you feel like God is calling you to take a next step this week? If so, how can your Life Group help you?
- What if you went into reading God’s word with the expectation that He is going to speak to you?
- Sheep are at peace because they trust the shepherd!
- Worrying is just meditating on the wrong things. Meditate on the right thing by reading God’s word!
- We give God our “yes” by choosing to follow Him, even when the end is unknown.
Pray Over Your Group!
Pray over all prayer requests, and pray that all members are able to stay in God’s Word this week, and that all are able to hear and listen to what God says!
Go through the 7 day SOAP with your Life Group! If you didn’t get a handout with the scriptures on it, we’ve included them below!
Day 1 – The Birth Of Jesus, Matthew 1:18-25
Day 2 – Water To Wine, John 2:1-11
Day 3 – The Samaritan Woman, John 4:1-26
Day 4 – Jesus Washes His Disciples’ Feet, John 13:1-17
Day 5 – Jesus Arrested, Mark 14:32-52
Day 6 – Jesus’ Crucifixion and Death, Luke 23:26-56
Day 7 – Jesus’ Resurrection and Appearances, John 20-21