How To Win Within
Goals for this Week’s Study:
- Review Pastor Daniel’s sermon from Sunday morning.
- Help group members (especially new members) get to know one another.
- Reflect on the next steps that have been taken over the past week.
Open your group with prayer.
SHARE: If you had a meal where you could eat any food you wanted, what would it be?
- “And remember, when you are being tempted, do not say, “God is tempting me.” God is never tempted to do wrong, and he never tempts anyone else. Temptation comes from our own desires, which entice us and drag us away. These desires give birth to sinful actions. And when sin is allowed to grow, it gives birth to death. So don’t be misled, my dear brothers and sisters.” – James 1:13-16
- “And then he added, “It is what comes from inside that defiles you. For from within, out of a person’s heart, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, wickedness, deceit, lustful desires, envy, slander, pride, and foolishness. All these vile things come from within; they are what defile you.” – Mark 7:20-22
- “So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.” – Hebrews 4:16
4 Stages of Temptation:
- Deception - Temptation will always come with bait that appeals to one of your natural desires.
- Desire - Temptation always starts in your mind, not your circumstances.
- Disobedience - What began as an idea is birthed into a behavior.
- Death - Giving into temptation makes you bear dead fruit.
Sermon Notes: Take time to let everyone share some of the notes they took or anything that stood out to them from the message. Use this time to get everyone in your group talking (a good tip for this situation would be to go around the room and have everyone share one thing that stuck out to them from Pastor Daniel’s sermon)! Keep in mind, not everyone may feel comfortable talking yet, so try your best to help assist them in any way you can!
- Have you ever went grocery shopping while you were hungry (or done something similar)? Why is it a bad idea?
- What are the 4 stages of Temptation? Can you summarize each one? (Provided above)
- The Bible says “when” we are tempted, not “if” we are tempted. How can this change your view of being “battle ready”? What are some things that help you fight temptation?
- Pastor Daniel gave us 3 examples of how to defeat temptation. What were they? Which one stuck out to you the most? (Recognize your weak spots, Refocus your thoughts, Request for help)
- Do you find it easy or hard to request for help? Why?
- Pastor Daniel stated that when you face temptation, there’s always a way out! One of the best ways to help with this is finding someone you can turn to when temptation hits. Do you have someone you can turn to when things get bad?
- How can your group help you this week?
- You’ll never outgrow temptation.
- Consider temptation as a compliment!
- The act of sin is a process, not an act.
- Temptation always starts in your mind, not your circumstances.
- The first step away from God is a step away from community.
- What you resist always persists.
- You’ll never be able to say no to the devil until you say yes to Jesus!
Pray Over Your Group!
Pray that all members can win the battle with temptation this week. Have each person pick someone in the Group (or they can pray for the person next to them), then go around taking turns praying.