Before We Get Started
- Ask how everyone’s week has been! What was the best thing that happened to you last week?
- What was one thing you could use prayer in from last week?
- Open your group with prayer! Pray for any requests and for the discussion you’re about to have, that God reveals a next step for everyone to take this week!
Ice Breaker: If money wasn't an issue, what career path would you choose?
- “I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” – John 16:33 (NLT)
- “Owe nothing to anyone – except for your obligation to love one another. If you love your neighbor, you will fulfill the requirements of God’s law.” – Romans 13:8 (NLT)
- “Just as the rich rule the poor, so the borrower is servant to the lender.” – Proverbs 22:7 (NLT)
- “Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.” – Romans 12:1-2 (NIV)
- “The wise have wealth and luxury, but fools spend whatever they get.” – Proverbs 21:20 (NLT)
- “But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!” – Galatians 5:22-23 (NLT)
- “The plans of the diligent lead to profit as surely as haste leads to poverty.” – Proverbs 21:5 (NIV)
Sermon Notes: Take time to let everyone share some of the notes they took or anything that stood out to them from the message. Use this time to get everyone in your group talking (a good tip for this situation would be to go around the room and have everyone share one thing that stuck out to them from Joe Sangl’s sermon)! Keep in mind, not everyone may feel comfortable talking, so try your best to help assist them in any way you can!
- What would be the first thing you do if you had $0 in debt?
- Do you feel like you’re more of a “spender” or a “saver”?
- What were the 4 types of debt that Joe talked about this week? (Terrible Debt, Bad Debt, Better Debt, Best Debt). Do you remember what they represented? (Terrible – pawn loans, payday loans, rent to own loans ; Bad – credit cards, furniture ; Better – home mortgage, student loans ; Best – rental real estate, commercial real estate, business)
- Without getting too personal, which type of debt have you had the most history with? What are some things you’ve learned from your experience with it?
- Joe gave us three tips on how to overcome debt. What were they? (Understand Your Calling, Establish Margin, Exercise Self-Control) Which do you feel you need the most growth in? Which do you feel you do the best in?
- How does understanding your calling help you with your finances?
- What’s the importance in establishing margin within your budget?
- How can exercising self-control help maintain your budget?
- Do you feel like Jesus is leading you to take a next step this week? How can your Group help you with your step?
Pray for your Group!
Pray for confidence and strength for your members as they begin to pursue the stretching/next steps that God is calling them to take!