Goals for this Week’s Study:
- Review Sunday Morning’s Message.
- Help everyone learn why “people pleasing” is a dangerous trap.
- Help group members lean on each other as they take steps to live for an “audience of one.”
Open your group with prayer.
SHARE: Of all the people in your life, who’s opinion means the most to you (other than God)? Why?
Proverbs 29:25 NLT
Fearing people is a dangerous trap, but trusting the Lord means safety.
1 Thessalonians 2:4 NLT
4 For we speak as messengers approved by God to be entrusted with the Good News. Our purpose is to please God, not people. He alone examines the motives of our hearts.
Romans 12:2 NLT
2 Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.
- Has there ever been a time when you’ve done something only because you knew someone else expected you to? Explain.
- Pastor Daniel said we all struggle with this because we are afraid of being rejected by those around us. What does Proverbs 29:25 have to say about this fear? [dangerous trap…even God can’t please everyone i.e. sports, weather, etc.]
- What is the antidote to that fear? [there is safety in trusting the Lord]
- Read Romans 12:2. Where is the battlefield when it comes to overcoming the temptation to be a “people pleaser”? [our mind]
- What are some practical steps you can take this week to live for an “audience of one” instead of the thoughts and opinions of those around you?
Practical Tips to defeat “people-pleasing” from Romans 12:2.
- Don’t copy the what the world (everyone around you) does.
- Let God transform your mind (Get in His Word!)
This will produce:
- Changing the way you think.
- Learning God’s will for your life!
- Learn to say NO. Everything you say “yes” to means you are saying “no” to something else.
- You don’t need anyone’s approval to be happy.
- The only person you have to please is God! He loves you and is not disappointed in you if you have Jesus in your life. When you put your faith and trust in Jesus, He no longer sees your sin, He sees His Son! That’s Grace!!
CHALLENGE: Take steps this week to begin living for an audience of one – God!
PRAY over your group!