The Enemy Called Anxiety
Goals for this Week’s Study:
- Review Pastor Daniel’s sermon from Sunday morning.
- Help group members (especially new members) get to know one another.
- Share how God has been growing you through the next steps you have been taking!
Open your group with prayer.
Ice Breaker: What’s the craziest, most outrageous lie/excuse you’ve ever been told?
- “Don’t worry about anything, but in everything, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” – Philippians 4:6
- “You are of your father the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he tells a lie, he speaks from his own nature, because he is a liar and the father of lies.” – John 8:44
- “For although we live in the flesh, we do not wage war according to the flesh, since the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but are powerful through God for the demolition of strongholds.” – 2 Corinthians 10:3-4
- “We demolish arguments and every proud thing that is raised up against the knowledge of God, and we take every thought captive to obey Christ.” – 2 Corinthians 10:4-5
- “Do not be conformed to this age, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may discern what is the good, pleasing, and perfect will of God.” – Romans 12:2
- “And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Finally brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable—if there is any moral excellence and if there is anything praiseworthy—dwell on these things. Do what you have learned and received and heard from me, and seen in me, and the God of peace will be with you.” – Philippians 4:7-9
- “You did not receive a spirit of slavery to fall back into fear. Instead, you received the Spirit of adoption, by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father!”” – Romans 8:5
Sermon Notes: Take time to let everyone share some of the notes they took or anything that stood out to them from the message. Use this time to get everyone in your group talking (a good tip for this situation would be to go around the room and have everyone share one thing that stuck out to them from Pastor Daniel’s sermon)! Keep in mind, not everyone may feel comfortable talking yet, so try your best to help assist them in any way you can!
- What is something you’ve worried/stressed about this week?
- Read Philippians 4:6. Why does it seem hard to not worry about things?
- Of all the things that Satan can attack, why do you think he chooses the mind?
- What was the strategy that Pastor Daniel shared about how to get to the root of our anxiety? (Examine your Actions -> Feelings -> Beliefs, Keep asking why until you get to the root!)
- How can you tell something is rooted in a lie? (You’ll see/hear the word “But”)
- Pastor Daniel shared three points to help us overcome our anxiety. What were they? (Remove The Stronghold, Redirect Your Thoughts, Renew Your Mind Daily)
- Spend time talking about these 3 points and share some practical tips you or anyone in the Group has used to help them in these areas of their lives. (Ask questions like: How do you redirect your thoughts? How do you renew your mind daily? Is there a certain strategy you use that has worked for you? How do you demolish a stronghold you may have? What have you had the most trouble with? Which has come easiest for you?)
- What next step do you feel like Jesus wants you to take this week? How can the Group help you? (prayer, encouragement, etc.)
- Your biggest enemy is you!
- The devil is not omnipresent, he cant be everywhere at once.
- What you think/what you believe will determine how you live.
- Your feelings will either calm you or alarm you!
- Peace is a person and His name is Jesus!
- No one can make you feel anything, it’s all in what you believe!
Pray Over Your Group!
Pray over all prayer requests and the next steps that will be taken this week. Take a little extra time to pray for the unity of our country and for all victims of the wildfires happening in California!