Goals for this Week’s Study:
- Review Sunday Morning’s Message.
- Help group members to identify and extract greed from their heart.
Open your group with prayer.
SHARE: Everybody has something they are passionate about…what’s yours? [Health, fashion, sports, parenting, addiction, homelessness, etc.] Tell us about it, if you are comfortable (BRIEFLY).
Have you ever wondered why you are so passionate (or obsessive) about YOUR thing?
When it comes to issues dealing with money, Pastor Daniel taught us several things on Sunday to help us identify GREED in our hearts. Often masked by “good” things, greed can still our joy and ultimately rob us of God’s blessing in this life as well as our reward in the next.
Luke 12:13 – 21
13 Then someone called from the crowd, “Teacher, please tell my brother to divide our father’s estate with me.” 14 Jesus replied, “Friend, who made me a judge over you to decide such things as that?” 15 Then he said, “Beware! Guard against every kind of greed. Life is not measured by how much you own.” 16 Then he told them a story: “A rich man had a fertile farm that produced fine crops. 17 He said to himself, ‘What should I do? I don’t have room for all my crops.’ 18 Then he said, ‘I know! I’ll tear down my barns and build bigger ones. Then I’ll have room enough to store all my wheat and other goods. 19 And I’ll sit back and say to myself, “My friend, you have enough stored away for years to come. Now take it easy! Eat, drink, and be merry!”’ 20 “But God said to him, ‘You fool! You will die this very night. Then who will get everything you worked for?’ 21 “Yes, a person is a fool to store up earthly wealth but not have a rich relationship with God.”
1. Pastor Daniel mentioned several factors that help us identify the root of GREED in our heart. Discuss which of the following are the most difficult to overcome. Here are a few he mentioned:
- You worry about money
- You’re NOT a cheerful giver
- You’re a reluctant giver
- Constantly talk about not having enough or barely enough money
- Not content with what you have
- Ask questions before giving with hidden motives of finding a reason not to give
- Giving gifts with strings attached
NOTE: You may disagree with some of those things being evidence that you are a greedy person. Remember that with God, he looks upon the thoughts and intentions of our heart and NOT simply our actions. All of these indicators are on the “thoughts” and “intentions” level.
2. Why is it so difficult to align our “ACTIONS” with our “THOUGHTS & INTENTIONS?” [Faith]
3. Why is greed so easy to see in other people, but so difficult to detect in our own lives? [Often hides behind “good” things].
4. Pastor Daniel made the statement that Greed exists in our life because of FEAR that God either can’t or won’t come through for us. Do you think that is true? WHY?
If you have time, read through the parable in the scripture above. Once finished ask the following questions.
5. Who is Jesus speaking to? Person in crowd
6. Why is he speaking to them? He asked a legal question about dividing an estate
7. What does Jesus know is the real issue he needs to speak to? Greed. He knows this because He’s God.
8. What did the farmer do that was wrong? Nothing. None of his ACTIONS were wrong.
9. Why did Jesus call him a fool? Because of the intentions of his heart. Rather than bless others in need with the abundance of the harvest he decided to store it all for himself. There was nothing inherently wrong with storing up and building bigger barns, but his overall idea was wrong. He assumed that the abundant blessing was for him alone.
10. Why does God bless us? To be a blessing to others.
11. How can we eliminate Greed from our hearts? Be GENEROUS!!
- What blessing are you hoarding?
- How can you be generous with it immediately?
- If it’s important to be generous, plan it, prepare it, automate it!
PRAY over your group!