Grace to Gratitude
Goals for this Week’s Study:
- Review Sunday Morning’s Message.
- Help group members to not take our blessings for granted.
Open your group with prayer.
SHARE: What is something you once saw as a blessing, but now find yourself being ungrateful for? What changed?
Pastor Daniel says this all the time: When your “GET TO” becomes a “GOT TO” you’ve lost your gratitude!
Luke 17:11 – 19
11 As Jesus continued on toward Jerusalem, he reached the border between Galilee and Samaria. 12 As he entered a village there, ten men with leprosy stood at a distance, 13 crying out, “Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!” 14 He looked at them and said, “Go show yourselves to the priests.” And as they went, they were cleansed of their leprosy. 15 One of them, when he saw that he was healed, came back to Jesus, shouting, “Praise God!” 16 He fell to the ground at Jesus’ feet, thanking him for what he had done. This man was a Samaritan. 17 Jesus asked, “Didn’t I heal ten men? Where are the other nine? 18 Has no one returned to give glory to God except this foreigner?” 19 And Jesus said to the man, “Stand up and go. Your faith has healed you.”
1. In your experience, which does God use more to bring you closer to Him – positive or negative experiences? Why?
C.S. Lewis wrote that “God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pains.”
2. Why do you think God works more often through a pain than pleasure? [We don’t listen. Pain is most often the natural consequence of our actions, or the fallen world in which we live.]
3. At what point did the lepers receive healing? [After they did what Jesus told them to do.]
4. Why didn’t Jesus heal them immediately? [Gave them an opportunity to demonstrate faith.]
5. What similarities do you see in this passage and your own life?
- Do identify with the 9, or the 1 who came back?
- Is there something you’ve been praying about that Jesus has done, but He’s waiting on you to move to see the blessing realized?
- Have you lost your gratitude because you’ve lost sight of the blessing?
- What do you need to be grateful for?
- How are you going to show gratitude today?
- What has God told you to do that you need to start taking steps towards today?
PRAY over your group!