Goals for this Week’s Study:
- Review Sunday Morning’s Message.
- Help group members to better understand what the Bible says about Hell.
Open your group with prayer.
SHARE: What is the last thing you experienced that you just couldn’t stop telling others about? [good movie, restaurant, game, etc.] Tell us about it.
Luke 16:19 – 31
19 Jesus said, “There was a certain rich man who was splendidly clothed in purple and fine linen and who lived each day in luxury. 20 At his gate lay a poor man named Lazarus who was covered with sores. 21 As Lazarus lay there longing for scraps from the rich man’s table, the dogs would come and lick his open sores. 22 “Finally, the poor man died and was carried by the angels to sit beside Abraham at the heavenly banquet. The rich man also died and was buried, 23 and he went to the place of the dead. There, in torment, he saw Abraham in the far distance with Lazarus at his side. 24 “The rich man shouted, ‘Father Abraham, have some pity! Send Lazarus over here to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue. I am in anguish in these flames.’ 25 “But Abraham said to him, ‘Son, remember that during your lifetime you had everything you wanted, and Lazarus had nothing. So now he is here being comforted, and you are in anguish. 26 And besides, there is a great chasm separating us. No one can cross over to you from here, and no one can cross over to us from there.’ 27 “Then the rich man said, ‘Please, Father Abraham, at least send him to my father’s home. 28 For I have five brothers, and I want him to warn them so they don’t end up in this place of torment.’ 29 “But Abraham said, ‘Moses and the prophets have warned them. Your brothers can read what they wrote.’ 30 “The rich man replied, ‘No, Father Abraham! But if someone is sent to them from the dead, then they will repent of their sins and turn to God.’ 31 “But Abraham said, ‘If they won’t listen to Moses and the prophets, they won’t be persuaded even if someone rises from the dead.’”
Pastor Daniel set out to answer the following questions in this past Sunday’s message. I’ve included a quick synopsis of what he said.
1. Why was Hell created? It was created for Satan and his angels. Revelations 2:20 says that at the final judgement, “death and Hades will be cast into the lake of fire.” This lets us know that Hades is where those who did not confess Jesus as Lord are currently at. The “lake of fire” is what we typically think of as “Hell.”
2. Who will be there? Everyone who did NOT confess Jesus as Lord before their physical death.
3. How can a loving God send someone to Hell? 2 Peter 3:9 says “The Lord isn’t really being slow about his promise, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent. He doesn’t send anyone there, rather He gives everyone the right to choose. Many think that it is preposterous that there could only be 1 way to God and that be through Jesus Christ. The reality is that God marked the way so clearly and made it so definitive because He doesn’t want anyone to miss it!
4. What will Hell be like? In Luke 16:22 – 25 (see above) we see that the place that the rich man was (Hades) was a place of death and torment. He wanted nothing more than Lazarus to dip his finger in water and cool his tongue because he was in aguish in the flames.
5. How can you escape Hell? It’s so easy and simple…see the scriptures below:
9 If you openly declare that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
16 “For this is how God loved the world: He gave[a] his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.
1. If you believe that what has been described is Hell – that it’s a real place where people who don’t know Jesus will be tormented for eternity – WHY do we take such a passive approach to telling others about Jesus?
2. Why do you think it is so hard for others to believe what the Bible says about Heaven and Hell?
3. Why is it so easy to tell others about a great movie, or restaurant, or TV series, but so hard to tell others about Jesus?
4. What are you going to do with what you’ve learned?
1. If you’ve never confessed Jesus as Lord, today is another chance! Don’t let it pass you by!
2. If you’re already a Christian, your response is clear – Go tell everyone you know!
PRAY over your group at the end! Don’t pray for clarity in these situations. Pray for courage to take the next steps of Jesus is calling them to take.