Goals for this Week’s Study:
- Review Sunday Morning’s Message.
- Help group members to better understand what Heaven is and how that applies to the life we are currently living.
Open your group with prayer.
SHARE: When you think about Heaven, what do you imagine?
I’m including several passages below, use or reference back to throughout your study.
Colossians 3:1 NLT
1 Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God’s right hand.
Matthew 25:34 NLT
34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world.
1 Corinthians 2:9 NLT
9 That is what the Scriptures mean when they say, “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him.”
Matthew 6:20 NLT
20 Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal.
Matthew 16:27 NLT
27 For the Son of Man will come with his angels in the glory of his Father and will judge all people according to their deeds.
1 Corinthians 3:13 NLT
13 But on the judgment day, fire will reveal what kind of work each builder has done. The fire will show if a person’s work has any value.
1 Peter 2:11 NLT
11 Dear friends, I warn you as “temporary residents and foreigners” to keep away from worldly desires that wage war against your very souls.
2 Corinthians 4:16 NLT
16 That is why we never give up. Though our bodies are dying, our spirits are being renewed every day.
Colossians 3:2 NLT
2 Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth.
1. What is Heaven?
- Where God lives, reigns, rules, SITS on His throne. He's not frustrated and pacing around. He is in control!
- It is a REAL place. Revelations give us actual dimensions.
- It was designed for us. Matthew 25:34 - we need to claim our inheritance. Most Christians walk around without ever knowing what we have.
2. Where is Heaven?
- UP. Everywhere Heaven is mentioned in the Bible it's always UP. Old Testament refers to 3 levels of Heaven...birds, stars, God (3rd level).
3. How do we get there?
- Through Jesus! Why is it so narrow? Because God doesn't want us to miss it!
4. What's going to happen when we get to Heaven?
- 1 Cor 2:9 - No eyes have seen...
- What won't be there? Sickness, suffering, death, pain, heartbreak, etc. NO MORE SIN!!
- There will be REUNIONS! I will see lost loved ones, and we will all get along!
- There will be rewards in Heaven - Matt 6:20 - store UP treasures in Heaven. Serve, bless, help!
- We will serve Jesus for all eternity!
- There will be REST!
- 2 Judgements
- Great White Throne Judgement - those who rejected Jesus.
- Bema Seat Judgement - Christians - how we lived on Earth for Him. Matthew 16:27 (words, thoughts, actions). 1 Cor 3:13 - WHY do you do what you do?
1. Why do you think it is important that we know what the Bible says about Heaven?
2. How does knowing about Heaven affect our life today?
3. What is your reaction to knowing that you will be rewarded when you get to Heaven? See Matthew 6:20 and 1 Colossians 3:13.
4. In light of all this, what should change about your perspective on your current situation right now? See Final Thoughts.
- 1 Peter 2:11 - don't get distracted! This is not your home.
- Don't be discouraged by trouble. 2 Cor 4:16 - out present troubles are small...they won't last very long, but the glory produced will last forever! Even if you are sufferkng, it's just temporary.
- Focus your life on things that will last!
- Col 3:2. People will last forever!
PRAY over your group at the end! Don’t pray for clarity in these situations. Pray for courage to take the next steps of Jesus is calling them to take.