Sermon Discussion Guide
HOT HEADS - Week 3
March 20, 2016
Goals for this Week’s Study:
- Review Sunday Mornings Sermon
- Encourage people in your group to invite as many as they can to one of our four Easter Services–Saturday 6PM, Sunday 10AM, 11:45AM, 5PM
Getting Started: Open your group with a prayer.
Pastor Daniel concluded our Hot Heads series by looking at PRIDE as a primary cause of the anger in our lives. He taught us that Pride causes all kinds of problems. Let’s dive into those now.
Pride LEADS TO Conflict
Proverbs 13:10 – Pride leads to conflict; those who take advice are wise.
- Share how pride creates conflict in our relationships.
- What does Jesus tell us to do before we criticize others?
Matthew 7:5 – Hypocrite! First get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend’s eye.
Pride MAKES ME UNTEACHABLE
Proverbs 10:17 – People who accept discipline are on the pathway to life, but those who ignore correction will go astray.
Proverbs 11:2 - Pride leads to disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.
- What warning do we read about pride, and what common quality is the antidote?
- How does pride keep us from solving our problems?
- What can we do to counter its effects?
PRIDE produces ANXIETY
Proverbs 29:25 – Fearing people is a dangerous trap, but trusting the Lord means safety.
- How does being overly concerned with what others think of you keep you from being who God made you to be?
- Look at the second half of Proverbs 29:25—What keeps us from falling into that trap?
- What can deliver us from the trap of self-deception? Read Prov. 20:27
Proverbs 20:27 – The Lord’s light penetrates the human spirit, exposing every hidden motive.
- What tool(s) has God given each one of us that can help us to be honest with God and with ourselves? (The Bible)
Pride ANGERS God
James 4:6b – God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
- Why does God hate pride? Pride says, “I don’t need God.” The antidote to pride, is HUMILITY!
HOW Can i lIVE HUMBLY?
1. BE HONEST ABOUT MY SIN
Proverbs 28:13 – People who conceal their sins will not prosper, but if they confess and turn from them, they will receive mercy.
- Why is it so hard to admit we are prideful?
2. EVALUATE MYSELF
How should you view yourself based on Romans 12:3?
Because of the privilege and authority God has given me, I give each of you this warning: Don’t think you are better than you really are. Be honest in your evaluation of yourselves, measuring yourselves by the faith God has given us.
- How can we avoid the temptation to undervalue ourselves?
- Pride can be good or bad. What kinds of pride are godly?
Galatians 6:4 - Pay careful attention to your own work, for then you will get the satisfaction of a job well done, and you won’t need to compare yourself to anyone else.
- This verse advises that each person should test his own actions. Why is this important?Comparing is an easy sin to fall into.
- What steps can we take to guard ourselves from comparing ourselves to others?
3. SERVE OTHERS
Philippians 2:3–5 – Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. 4 Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too. 5 You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had.
- What attitude do we need to have as we serve others? Who is our model?
- Define what humility means to you.
- Think of a person who demonstrates genuine interest in others. Are you drawn to that person, and if so, why?
- Why do you think humility is the antidote to pride?
- Discuss this truth and how to apply it to your life: Humility is not thinking poorly of yourself OR less of yourself…it’s thinking of yourself less.
4. DEPEND ON JESUS DAILY
Psalm 10:4 – The wicked are too proud to seek God. They seem to think that God is dead.
- If a proud person doesn’t think about God, what does he think about? (Himself)
- Pride keeps us from receiving God’s grace. How can we allow God’s grace to replace prideful thoughts?
- Often we hide behind pride because we feel insecure inside. What are ways we can accept God’s grace to fight that insecurity and pride?
Proverbs 22:4 – True humility and fear of the Lord lead to riches, honor, and long life.
- This verse indicates that humility brings what kind of blessing to our lives?
- People think that prosperity has to do with outward wealth.
- What inner qualities of prosperity does humility bring to a person?
- God wouldn’t ask us to humble ourselves if we couldn’t.
- James tells us that God opposes the proud and gives grace to the humble.
- This week let’s practice humility.
- Is there anything else from Sunday’s sermon that spoke to you?